|TYPE OF COURSE UNIT||Compulsory Course
|LEVEL OF COURSE UNIT||Bachelor's Degree
|YEAR OF STUDY||3
|SEMESTER||Fifth Term (Fall)-Fifth Term (Fall)-Fifth Term (Fall)-Fifth Term (Fall)-Fifth Term (Fall)-Fifth Term (Fall)-Fifth Term (Fall)-Fifth Term (Fall)
|NUMBER OF ECTS CREDITS ALLOCATED||4
|NAME OF LECTURER(S)||Associate Professor Okan Cem Çırakoğlu
|LEARNING OUTCOMES OF THE COURSE UNIT
||At the end of this course, the students;
1) Will gain knowledge on the historical roots of psychology.
2) Will understand the dynamics leading to the seperation of psychology from philosophy.
3) Will point out to the political, economical and scientific influences which helped shape the basic theoretical approaches in psychology.
4) Will learn about the modern theorie/approaches/perspectives in psychology and be able to discuss their historical roots.
5) Will learn about the development of psychology in Turkey and be able to speculate and discuss where it is evolving.
6) Will develop his/her personal synthesis and perspective to explain the dynamics of human behavior and specify the several historical and modern influences on his/her perspective.
|MODE OF DELIVERY||Face to face
|PRE-REQUISITES OF THE COURSE||No
|RECOMMENDED OPTIONAL PROGRAMME COMPONENT||None
|1st Week ||Understanding Psychology?s History|
|2nd Week ||Society and Psychology?s History|
|3rd Week ||Early Psychological Knowledge|
|4th Week ||Psychological Knowledge in Ancient Greek, Mesopotamia, China and India|
|5th Week ||Psychology Between 15th Century and the End of 19th Century|
|6th Week ||Influential Philosophical Theories|
|7th Week ||History of Psychology in Laboratories|
|8th Week ||First Psychology Laboratories|
|9th Week ||Psychology at the Beginning of 20th Century|
|10th Week ||The Birth of Modern Psychological Approaches|
|11th Week ||Clinical Psychology at end of 19th and at the Beginning of 20th Century.|
|12th Week ||The Birth and Development of Behaviorist Approach|
|13th Week ||The Birth and Development of Psychodynamic Approach|
|14th Week ||General Evaluation and Closing|
|RECOMENDED OR REQUIRED READING||Shiraev, E. (2015). A history of psychology: A global perspective (2nd ed.). Los Angeles: Sage Publications.
Greenwood, J. D. (2009). A conceptual history of psychology. Boston: McGraw Hill.
Schultz, D. P., and Schultz, E. S. (2008). Modern history of psychology (9 th Ed.). USA: Thomson Learning.
|PLANNED LEARNING ACTIVITIES AND TEACHING METHODS||Lecture,Discussion,Questions/Answers
|ASSESSMENT METHODS AND CRITERIA||
|Contribution of In-term Studies to Overall Grade(%)||50|
|Contribution of Final Examination to Overall Grade(%)||50|
|LANGUAGE OF INSTRUCTION||Turkish